Solution 1: NoMachine
- Download NoMachine Linux server from here http://www.nomachine.com/select-package.php?os=linux&id=1
- Follow installation instructions given here http://www.nomachine.com/documents/server/install.php
- Download NoMachine windows client from here http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=3655
- Follow installation instructions given here http://www.nomachine.com/documents/client/install.php
Solution 2: Xming
- Install PuTTY
- Follow steps in this site to install Xming and to set it up to make it work together with PuTTY
- Follow steps given in below link to increase the font sizes displayed in GUI through Xming
- Problem: Graphical programs are very slow.
Solution: Enabling “SSH compression” might help if you use a low bandwidth connection. The option is under Connection > SSH in the left menu of PuTTY. (http://doc.es.aau.dk/it_services/software/windows/putty_and_xming/)
I am using NoMachine, as Xming(188.8.131.52) was slow even after using SSH compression. And the latest version of Xming(184.108.40.206), which possibly has fixes for slow GUI (http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/) was not available for free.