March 12, 2012
Solution 1: NoMachine
Solution 2: Xming
- Install PuTTY
- Follow steps in this site to install Xming and to set it up to make it work together with PuTTY
- Follow steps given in below link to increase the font sizes displayed in GUI through Xming
- Problem: Graphical programs are very slow.
Solution: Enabling “SSH compression” might help if you use a low bandwidth connection. The option is under Connection > SSH in the left menu of PuTTY. (http://doc.es.aau.dk/it_services/software/windows/putty_and_xming/)
I am using NoMachine, as Xming(188.8.131.52) was slow even after using SSH compression. And the latest version of Xming(184.108.40.206), which possibly has fixes for slow GUI (http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/) was not available for free.
September 24, 2011
IR Remote model which I am using is “Noah Company MediaGate HA-IR01SV Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate MCE Remote Control, 1 Channel IR (Silver)”.
Steps to get it working
- Connect the IR receiver to the USB port.
- Install lirc
sudo apt-get install lirc
- In the configuration page shown for lirc during installation, you have to choose the type of remote. Here choose as “Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)”. Select OK
- For any of the other selections asked in next configuration pages, proceed with the default option selected.
- To test if setup is proper, open console and enter command
"irw". It should appear to hang, now press buttons in the remote, and you should see the key presses printed on the terminal.
Now you are ready to use your remote with XBMC.
June 30, 2011
While running Wubi.exe got from Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS (Hardy Heron) download page http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/,
The error shown in screenshot occurs.
The problem seems to be because of mismatch between Wubi.exe and download URLs in http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/. To solve this problem download the Wubi.exe for 8.04 from Wubi SourceForge site http://sourceforge.net/projects/wubi/files/Wubi/
May 6, 2011
Got this error while upgrading from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04
The disc drive for / is not ready yet or not present. Continue to wait, press S to skip or M for manual recovery.
Searched for solution and found this Ubuntu bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/753853
Solution given was do run command
sudo apt-get install -f
Reason given was
Broken branding-ubuntu package was causing apt to stop prematurely leaving the system in an inconsistent state.
April 17, 2011
I wanted to use Kindle For PC in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat using “Wine”, but got the below error while running install .exe
After some Google search, found that upgrading Wine to latest version “Wine 1.3” will solve this problem.
Follow the steps given in this link to upgrade Wine to 1.3 – http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu
After that open Wine Configuration, and set Windows version to “Windows 98” .
Now again run the Kindle installation exe to install and run Kindle without problems.